Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Leg Strength and Endurance Revision

On Rafe's suggestion, we're adding a lateral component to the leg strength workouts.  The circuit is now:

Body weight squats (20)
Lunges (10 each leg)
Lateral lunges (10 each way)
Step ups (10 each leg)
Squat jumps (10)

Rest intervals will continue to change each week.  Track workouts starting April 4.

7 comments:

  1. I forgot to post last week's workouts, but I wrote them down in my phone. I included some youtube links for illustration purposes, because my trainer likes to make up her own names for things which makes it harder to describe my workouts to other people.

    3/15
    mile warmup (10 minutes)
    pop squats 3x20
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=747Q-_WpSGM
    jack knife abs 3x20 (alternating sets with the lunges)

    Hamstring curls 3x10 each leg @ 40lbs
    Suspended Single leg crossover squats
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYYcQh4EvOQ
    20 each leg x 3 sets (alternating sets with hamstring curls)
    Glute thrusts 20 each leg x 3

    Wall Sits with small ball between my knees and 15lb medicine ball held straight arms above my head. 3 x 1 minute

    Medicine ball push ups
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ktoCu5SrY&feature=related
    8 each arm x 3 sets
    Medicine ball ab twists 3x 20 each side (alternating sets with pushups)

    3/17 - finished my first grad school application. that was a workout. Did 10 burpees and 10 pushups.

    3/18
    Half mile warmup
    Hanging leg raises abs 3x20
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTodz_e_ovk&feature=related
    Squat and push away on a cable weight 3x10 reps, I didn't record the weight
    Dumbbell plank row with 10lb weights, 3 x 10 each arm
    Step ups, 24" step, 3x20 each leg, holding 10lb dumbbell
    Tricep pushups 3x10
    Tricep rope pulldowns 3x10 (i don't remember the weight)

    3/19
    Pole dancing class

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a little behind on commenting, sorry! I've been working beyond overtime recently, but that's no excuse

    3/17- BAD
    3/18- Throwing with Andy & Nick J. (30 minutes)
    3/19- Throwing with Todd (45 min?)
    3/21- 1 hr. yoga
    3/22- am: this weeks revised workout, with my own twist---I did all five rounds with the 1:30 between each round, but no rest between each exercise

    pm: NB league (and I have to catch up on burpees)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3/22 Circuit as written + finished with 3x Torture Twists (sit on a bench, anchor your feet under something and lean back so you are parallel to the ground, twist to the right until your obliques engage and hold for 3 seconds, twist left and hold for 3 seconds, repeat 5 times to each side) new favorite core workout - you should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joining the blog posting for the first time at Zuba's suggestion...I'll just start with the weekend, although I've been doing the posted workouts over the past couple weeks...

    Sat. 3/19 - ran my first ever 5K! it was mostly a trail run and I'm told longer than most 5K's (I guess making it not a 5K...). did it in 30:09 with 9:43 mile pace. came in 6th in my division. I'm not a distance runner, so I feel pretty accomplished to have done it at all.

    Tues. 3/22 - 25 min. cardio, followed by abs, hamstrings, and this week's workout (minus the lateral movement since I only just saw that...I'll add it at the end of the week)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3/20 Indoor pickup
    3/22 PT
    3/23 Finally started with the circuits! Warmed up with 20min bike. Did 4x with 1min rest between circuits, no rest between individual exercises

    ReplyDelete
  6. My roommate and I just incorporated this week's work into tonight's workout. Didn't see the lateral lunges thing, but we've been doing those as part of other work over the off-season:

    2-Mile Run 13:44 (7:34/6:10)

    3x Core Superset:
    15/15 Oblique Twists (35lb)
    15/15 Oblique Pulls (45lb)
    20 Incline Sit-ups

    20-Minute Stretch

    5x D5 Leg Strength Circuit (3/21 Posted Ver.)
    3x 25/10/10/10
    1x 30/12/12/12
    1x 40/15/15/15

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so far behind in post workouts.

    Thur BAD
    Friday throwing with allison and nick, Did the leg workout with zuba in the evening
    Sun IOP
    Monday lifting with toddbot
    Tuesday winter league
    Wed D5 Leg Workout

    I have started doing 20 pushups 3 times a day at work just so i have an excuse to get out of my chair and do something. I feel more energized this week because of it.

    ReplyDelete